The history of Abbott Funeral Home of Wabasha can be traced back to the late 1800’s. The McDonald family operated the funeral home and furniture store in a building on Main Street (the furniture store is still there today). In 1920 E. B. Wise purchased the businesses and operated both businesses there until moving the funeral home to 2nd Street in 1949, converting the old Standard Oil filling station to the funeral home.
In 1960, James D. “Jake” Abbott and family moved from St. Paul, MN, where he worked for O’Halloran and Murphy Funeral Home, to Wabasha, purchasing the businesses from Mr. Wise and naming the funeral home Abbott-Wise Funeral Home. In 1989, Jake’s son, James E. “Jim” Abbott, and his wife, Claire (Marx) and their three children moved back to their hometown from Austin, MN, where Jim worked for several years for the Clasen-Jordan Mortuary and purchased the business from his father. They renamed the business Abbott Funeral Home.
In 1992, Jim purchased the Buckman-Schierts-Koch Funeral Home, also a long time funeral home in Wabasha, and incorporated that concern into his building. Having outgrown the building and the desire to present a modern, pleasing and functional funeral home, Jim acquired two adjacent pieces of properties and built a new facility. The new building was opened in June of 2000, the old building then being demolished and the space being converted to parking. We are pleased to offer this facility to the people of our area.